Vegan Chickpea Soup Recipe
- 1 cup dried mushrooms, crumbled or chopped
- 5 cups boiling water
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium to large potato (or sweet potato), chopped
- 1 can chickpeas (drained)
- 2 cups kale (or baby kale), washed and chopped or torn
- 1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk, cold
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Salt and pepper (white or black) to taste
- Pour the boiling water over the dried mushrooms. Cover and soak for 30 to 40 minutes to create stock.
- Chop the onion and garlic and sauté them in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large cook pot until the onion is translucent. Add the cumin and coriander and continue sautéing for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the mushroom stock over the onion and garlic sauté. Add the potato and chickpeas and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pour the cold soy or almond milk into a small bowl, and add the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Add the cayenne pepper and the cornstarch, and whisk vigorously.
- Add the soy milk and corn starch mixture slowly to the soup, stirring as you add. Once fully combined, add the kale, stirring.
- Cook covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 more minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.