Vegan Beetroot Burger Recipe
This week for Green Monday, we’re looking at this delicious Vegan Beetroot Burger, made with beetroot and lentils, and a coriander alioli!!!! Don’t forget that you can check out the full I Love Foodies Vegan Archives here.
For the burger patties (makes 4 large patties):
- 1 medium beetroot grated or finely diced
- One tin of lentils, drained
- 1 T tomato paste
- ½ and onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¾ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
For the vegan mayo (makes about one to 1.5 cups):
- 300g carton of plain tofu
- 1 tbsp water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 1 heaped teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- Combine all ingredients and mix by hand until the lentils are squashed and the mixture comes together and becomes firm.
- Heat a pan and fry a little bit of the mix in some olive oil to check the seasoning; adjust if necessary.
- Divide into your desired sized patties and work them with wet hands to get them to stay together nicely.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Check the flavour and add more acid or seasoning if necessary.
- The mayo needs to rest for about 3 hours so that the flavour can intensify. It can be kept in the fridge for about 3 – 4 days.
- Fry the patties in olive oil for about 3 minutes a side.
- Toast the burger bun and smear with the aioli. Layer it up with lettuce, tomato, red onion, gherkins, your patty, fried mushrooms and brinjal. Basically, go wild with whatever toppings and fillings you want! Homemade basil pesto works well too. Serve with crispy onion rings, chips, and some more mayo for dipping.
Yum! The Vegan Beetroot Burger Recipe is courtesy of Chef Alex Poltera for HSI, Africa.