Vegan Basil Spaghetti Recipe
Continuing with our Green Monday SA vegan exploration, here’s a delicious vegan basil spaghetti recipe. Missed what Green Monday is all about? Check back to our original article on this here.
- 1 packet spaghetti
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried basil
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 40 ml (3 tablespoons) vegan margarine (e.g. Cardin)
- Salt to taste
- 1 Lemon
- Fresh basil sprigs for garnish
- Boil half a packet of spaghetti according to instructions. Stir with a fork – this will prevent it from sticking and clumping together. It’s important not to add oil to the water – oil covers the boiled spaghetti and prevents any pasta sauce from sticking and covering your spaghetti.
- In a separate pan, melt your margarine. When the margarine begins to melt, turn down the heat and add the crushed garlic. (Do not burn your garlic, it will become bitter).
- Add dried herbs to the margarine mix. Fry until the garlic is a nice light golden brown. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Set aside.
- Drain spaghetti. Add the margarine sauce to the spaghetti and mix until all the spaghetti is covered.
- Grate lemon zest over the spaghetti just before serving and place a fresh sprig of basil on top for garnish.
And there you go, a simple and delicious vegan basil spaghetti recipe!. Recipe courtesy of Green Monday SA Nikki Botha for HSI / Africa. We’ll be back next week with more vegan Green Monday fun!