Vegan Butternut Soup
Last week for Green Monday we got on to the soup craze with this delicious Beet Soup, but we couldn’t stop the soup train there. So this week we have a yummy SA-style Vegan Butternut Soup for you! Enjoy!
- 1 medium sized butternut, peeled, de-seeded and chopped into pieces (smaller pieces will cook faster)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Slow-cook onions in olive oil until transparent, for about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and gently stir through the onions.
- Add the butternut and coat with the onion mixture. Cook with the lid on for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, salt and pepper to taste. The liquid should cover the butternut. Bring to the boil with the lid on.
- Transfer to your lined Keep It Bag, close and leave for 2 – 4 hours. If you don’t have a Keep It Bag, continue to boil on stove.
- When soft, use a stick blender and blend till smooth. Or try a potato masher during load shedding.
- For added flavour and nourishment, add a fresh chilli salsa of chopped tomato, onion, chilli, and fresh coriander.
Recipe courtesy of Project 90 by 2030 for HSI / Africa.