Gourmet breakfasts may seem impossible to recreate – but they’re really not. This simple gourmet breakfast recipe will show you how to create a world-class egg-based breakfast in only a few simple steps.
This is definitely an I Love Foodies favourite. You can never go wrong with creamy scrambled eggs, which is the base of this recipe. And all the other ingredients are completely versatile. Chop and change as you wish to use up ingredients in your fridge. Recommendation additions include mushrooms, bacon, and ham. But this is the general gist of it that will result in much breakfast happiness.
The ingredients below suffice for one portion of this gourmet breakfast – feel free to add or subtract to adjust your portion size.
- 1 scoop butter
- Half an onion
- 3-4 rosa tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- Dash of milk
- Dash of truffle oil (or truffle-infused olive oil)
- 2-3 spring onions
- Half a handful of fresh herbs
- Cheese to top, optional
- To start, heat up the butter in a pan.
- Add onions and tomatoes to fry brown and sweet.
- While that’s cooking away, mix two eggs with a dash of milk and beat with a fork.
- Also cut up spring onions finely and mix with fresh herbs and truffle oil to create a dressing.
- When onions and tomatoes are done, remove from pan, and add in the egg mixture.
- Leave in for a minute or two only until done but still creamy.
- Serve scrambled eggs on top of onion and tomato bed, molten cheese on top of eggs optional, and finish off with the spring onion dressing.
Variation: If you’re a bread eater you can change the order of this gourmet breakfast recipe a bit – sprinkle the spring onion and truffle oil mixture on to a slice of fresh or toasted sourdough bread, and then top with scrambled eggs and the tomato and onion mixture.
Voila, perfectly simple yet gourmet-style breakfast!
Looking for more delicious breakfast ideas? Try some of these:
This recipe originated as an I Love Foodies takeover of the InstaEatsSouthAfrica Instagram account. Looking for more recipes? We’ve got a host of Breakfast Recipes and Dessert Recipes. Also, check out our full Recipes Archives.