This Chicken Mushroom Pot Pie recipe is perfect to create a simple yet delicious meal for any time of year.
Pot pies are generally a great way to use up leftover ingredients and create a delicious meal. The distinctive feature of pot pies is their top pie crust, and they only seldom feature a bottom pie crust.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced into rounds
- 250g button mushrooms, quartered
- 50ml white wine or vermouth
- 500g cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 100g frozen peas
- 1 pack ready-rolled puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3½tbsp butter
- 2½tbsp flour
- 500ml hot chicken stock
- 100ml cream
- Few sprigs of thyme, leaves stripped (or whichever woody herb you prefer)
- Small bunch of chives, snipped
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- Heat the oven to 190°C. Heat the oil and butter in a large pan. Cook the onion, carrots and leeks until soft, stirring occasionally. Season, add the mushrooms and wine; cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken and peas and set aside.
- For the sauce, melt the butter in a heavy-based pan over low heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Slowly pour in the hot stock and cream, whisking continuously, and simmer until the mixture thickens. Season to taste. Add the herbs.
- Combine the chicken mixture and sauce and place into a 30x20cm ovenproof dish. Lay the pastry on top of the filling, crimping the edges and trimming off any excess. Pierce the pastry to allow steam to escape and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
Looking for more savoury pie recipes? Try these:
Or try these sweet pie recipes:
Chicken Mushroom Pot Pie Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.