Jenny Morris, better known as South Africa’s Giggling Gourmet, knows how to make delicious food. We recently joined her for an online cooking class – such delightful fun – to perfect this delicious Caramelised Apple Pancakes recipe!
The great thing about this recipe is that it creates a dessert dish that’s light and fluffy. The secret ingredient – Savanna non-alcoholic cider – also adds that perfect lemony zest to the recipe.
We’ve divided the recipe into a few sections. The first section is to create your unique pancake batter and the second is to create the actual caramelised apples. Add the two together at the end and, voila, your perfect caramelised apple pancakes recipe is complete.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 250 ml Savanna non-alcoholic cider
- Beat together the flour, eggs, milk and oil, then stir in the cider.
- Let the mixture stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and ladle a little batter into the pan; cook until the top is covered with little bubbles, about 2 minutes per side.
- Continue until you have cooked all batter.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Savanna non-alcoholic cider
- 1/2 teaspoon cornflour
- Extra: 1 tablespoon Savanna non-alcoholic
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the apples to the pan and sprinkle with the sugar, then stir in the cinnamon and lemon zest.
- Cook the apples for about 4 minutes or until the sugar starts to caramelise, add the cider, and cook for another minute.
- Stir together the extra cider and cornflour. Add to the apples, cook for one minute longer &stir to coat the apples. Remove from the heat.
Caramelised Apple Pancakes: Putting it all together
- Spoon caramelised apples over the pancakes.
- Serve with cream.
Caramelised Apple Pancakes Recipe Notes
I Love Foodies also creates original recipes. Keen to check some of these out? We’ve recently completed recipe collaborations with Ciao Gusto (Vegan Lasagna), Sous Chef (Vegan Banoffee Pie, Butter Bean Dip, South-East Asian Chicken Stew) and Buy Whole Foods Online (Mince Pies, Amaretto Date Balls, Honey Cinnamon Oat Flour Cake).
Also check out our full Recipes Archive.