Brandy is a drink mostly enjoyed on its own, whether as an after-dinner splurge or by the fireside in winter. It’s warm and hearty on its own but equally fresh and comforting. But brandy can also be the basis for amazing cocktails. As these four brandy cocktail recipes will show, there is nothing more delicious than a crafty blend of some of the finest spirits.
These brandy cocktail recipes use the South African Distell portfolio as their base, including Richelieu, Van Ryn’s, Klipdrift, and Oude Meester. But these recipes will work with any fine brandy. All recipes were designed by one of South Africa’s top mixologists, Owen O’Reilly.
Richelieu Café Français
- 50ml Richelieu 10
- 20ml orange liquor
- Top with filter coffee
- Top with vanilla whipped cream*
- Pre-heat your mug with hot water.
- Pour all ingredients into the mug and top with vanilla whipped cream. If the whipped cream is hand-whipped, then slowly pour over a spoon onto the coffee.
- Grate some dark chocolate over whipped cream and garnish with orange zest.
*Vanilla whipped cream: Whip 250ml whipping cream, 250ml full cream milk, and 100ml vanilla syrup** with a whisk in a mixing bowl.
**Vanilla syrup: Equal parts sugar and water reduced on the stovetop with two open vanilla beans. Bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool down and strain into a glass bottle.
Van Ryn’s Chai Tea
- 45ml Van Ryn’s 10-year old
- Top with Chai Tea*
- Pour Van Ryn’s into a teacup and top with chai tea.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and candied ginger cubes.
* Chai Tea: 1 cup water, 2 x Rooibos tea bags, 15ml vanilla syrup, 15ml rose water, 3 crushed cardamom pods, 1 x cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 1 x thick slice ginger. Bring to the boil on the stovetop and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain the tea before using it. Makes one drink. Repeat recipe to make more than one.
- 50ml Klipdrift Gold
- 20ml apricot liqueur
- 35ml Monis Port
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 50ml hot water
- 1 x star anise
- ½ vanilla bean
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Pour all ingredients, except water, into two metal milk jugs (make sure they have handles).
- Set the liquid on fire with a chef torch and pour from one jug to the other while on fire. Repeat back and forth about eight times.
- Pour 50ml hot water into the brandy balloon glass and then top with the blazed ingredients.
- Garnish with orange zest and dark chocolate blocks on a side plate.
Oude Meester Wassail (Hot Mulled Cider)
- 50ml Oude Meester 12-year old
- Top up with hot wassail batch*
- Pour brandy into a pre-heated toddy glass and top up with hot wassail batch.
- Garnish with a cinnamon-dusted apple fan or dried apples.
*Wassail batch recipe & method (makes 2):
- 1x 330ml Savanna
- 200ml cranberry juice
- 50ml orange juice
- 25ml lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 1 vanilla bean
- 50ml water
- Bring to a simmer on the stovetop while stirring, simmer for 15 minutes. Strain liquid through a sieve before using it.
And if none of these strikes your fancy, you may want to check out a brandy original, the legendary Brandy Alexander! Don’t forget to check out all our other cocktail recipes. I Love Foodies also creates and features original recipes. Check out our full Recipes Archive.