We all love pizza. But, sometimes, we want that beautiful pizza taste without the carbs. So here’s a delicious Mushroom Pizza recipe – using the actual mushroom as the “pizza base”.
Recipe serves 4.
For the “base”:
- 4 very large brown mushrooms (deep enough to hold the filling), wiped clean
- 150g Fior Di Latte mozzarella
Homemade tomato sauce:
- A generous glug of olive oil
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped
- 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 – 2 tsp sugar (or Banting substitute)
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Baby tomatoes
- Fried bacon
- Fried chorizo
- Pineapple chunks
- Pitted olives
- Sliced jalapenos
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fry the garlic and chilli in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring often, until the tomato sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celcius.
- Place the mushrooms cap-side down on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Spoon the tomato sauce inside the mushroom caps and spread the sauce to cover the cap.
- Tear the mozzarella into small pieces and dot the tomato sauce with 2/3 of the cheese.
- Top the mushrooms with your preferred topping ingredients and dot with the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through and the cheese melted.
- Set the oven to grill and grill the mushrooms for a few extra minutes until the cheese bubbles to a golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Simply, right? Hope you enjoy this mushroom pizza recipe!
Recipe courtesy of The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association, with credit given to heinstirred.com. I Love Foodies also creates original recipes. Keen to check some of these out? We just completed a series of Ciao Gusto recipes, Sous Chef recipes, and, last year, we partnered with Buy Whole Foods Online for healthy and delicious treats! Check out our full Recipes Archive.