Macaroni and Cheese is one thing. But have you tried Macaroni and Caramelised Onions? Try our delicious twist on the Mac & Cheese original with this baked macaroni and onion recipe.
This Mac & Onion recipe is fully plant-based, so you can enjoy meat-free cooking at its best and impress your vegan friends (or yourself). Recipe serves 4.
Baked Macaroni & Onion Recipe
- 250g dry macaroni (cook 2-3min less as per instructions)
- 100g sundried tomato – chop (if using dry, soak in boiling water to soften)
- Rocket for dressing (optional)
For the sauce:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 jar butternut and truffle soup*
- 50g nutritional yeast flakes*
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard (±15g)
- Salt and pepper (generous amount – keep tasting)
For the smokey caramelised onions:
- ±400g onions (peel, half, then slice in 0.5 cm)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke – natural hickory*
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke – natural pecan*
- 3/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper
For caramelised onions:
- Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and fry until translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients in a cup, mix, and add to the onions.
- Bring to boil, reduce to medium heat.
- Add a lid to skillet and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and cook for further 30 minutes, until reduced and no more liquids on top and only a thick sauce left (keep stirring occasionally).
- Set aside or mix in your macaroni once ready.
For mac & onion bake:
- Wrap in silver foil (shiny side in) and place in air fryer on 200ºC for 60-75 minutes until super soft.
- Cook your macaroni 2-3 minutes less as per instructions.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Remove skins of potatoes and add potatoes to a food processor or blender.
- Add all remaining sauce ingredients to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Drain your pasta and add to baking dish. Stir in your onions, and then add your sauce. Bake for 20 minutes. (If you have cheese, vegan or otherwise, you can add some grated cheese on top for some crunchy melted cheese)
- Top with sun-dried tomato and dress with rocket (I always need my greens.
*Ingredients marked by an asterisk gifted by Sous Chef UK as part of a recipe collaboration series. Other recipes of this current series include:
The recipe was inspired by a recipe collaboration we undertook with Sous Chef UK. Butternut & truffle soup, nutritional yeast flakes, and liquid smoke sponsored by Sous Chef UK.
All I Love Foodies Original Recipes in the UK are created by Kassandra Bruni. Keen to check some of these out? We’ve recently completed recipe collaborations with Ciao Gusto (Vegan Lasagna), Sous Chef (Beetroot Wild Rice, South-East Asian Chicken Stew, Miso Aubergine) and Buy Whole Foods Online (Mince Pies, Amaretto Date Balls, Honey Cinnamon Oat Flour Cake).
Also check out our full Recipes Archive.