Sometimes, simple really is best. This bacon-stuffed portabello mushroom recipe is superbly simple and delightfully tasty.
What if you don’t have portabellos? No problem. We love a good portabello mushroom but you can also use any other large mushroom that’s stuff-able.
This recipe is paired with a gin & tonic cocktail with dehydrated orange slices. The richness and deep flavours of the dish as a whole are cut by the refreshing and complex notes of citrus and rose in the cocktail, making for a delightful pairing.
Bacon, Feta & Spinach Stuffed Portabellos
- 10 portabello mushrooms
- 250g streaky bacon
- 300g baby spinach
- 2 tsp butter
- 200g feta cheese
- 40g rocket
- 1 Tbsp oregano, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Coarse salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Steam the mushrooms on a wire rack fitted in a large pot for about 5 minutes.
- Remove and place on a cooling rack and allow excess liquid to drain.
- Cut bacon into a chunky dice and fry until crispy. Add the butter and allow to caramelise and get a deep golden colour. Season well with pepper.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and cook the spinach in the bacon fat for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the crispy bacon bits, cooked spinach, fresh rocket torn into smaller pieces, and the oregano. Mix well.
- Crumble in the feta and give it a final toss.
- Generously spoon the mixture onto the portabellos and serve straight away.
- 50ml Mirari Amber Gin
- Dehydrated orange slices
- 150ml tonic water
- A few dashes of bitters
- Fill desired glass with ice and add the dehydrated orange slices.
- Pour in the Mirari Amber Gin and top with tonic water.
- Finish with a few dashes of bitters.
Bacon-Stuffed Portabello Mushroom Recipe Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.
*Disclaimer: This article contains some affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your support.